Monday, March 10, 2008

I AM a good mom!!

My poor Lucie...



Unfortunately, my sweet girl is a bit of a drama queen. In fact, I'm sure our records at the vet are flagged as "Mommy and daughter - Drama Queens!" Friday night we were playing...she has me well trained, I throw the toy and she just picks it up for me. As she LEAPED from the chair and hit the floor, she let out a little cry. And the more I fussed over her...the more she limped. Well, we have been through this MANY times. I freak out....go to the vet...put out $80 - $100...she walks away (sometimes INTO the vet) miraculously cured. So...based on our past experiences....I was a little hesitant about going to the emergency hospital over the weekend.



SOOO...being the GREAT mom I am...I waiting until Monday morning to go have it checked out. At that point, she wouldn't even walk on it anymore. Couldn't get up in the chair or out of my bed without help.

Long story short (HA! TOO LATE!) Lucie has a knee cap that is popping in and out of place. Pain meds for temporary relief...SURGERY for a permanent fix. They referred me to the LSU Vet School where I am told will cost me....$2,000!!!! I'm not sure why I want to cry...Could be that I made her wait all weekend while in pain, Could be the $2,000 it will cost to make her better, or it could be that I will have to sell my car to pay for it!! :-) Ok...that may be a slight exagerration...but we are Drama Queens, remember?! :-)

So, to keep her from trying to jump on the furniture to get to me...I made us a bed on the floor where we have spent tonight watching tv. Poor Boo Boo...

6 comments:

mamaof3girls said...

I am laughing at you right now! You'll have to let me know how Wed. goes! I'll try and call today but I'll be at Pennington most of the day and I can rarely talk at hom. My children are crazy!

melanie, aka Mo said...

Ok, well i have to say that as a Physical therapist, I see this in actual people! For that kind of coin, I think I would try what lots of PEOPLE try and that is a knee brace of some sort. When there is a lot of activity planned, put a little sleeve around it. I know this sounds insane, but if this is truly your baby, you will make the effort. There is a company called Benik who makes customized braces for the kids I treat if I send them the appropriate measurements. I would measure the length that would support his knee but not be so long that he can't bend his knee to walk. then measure the girth and ask them to put velcro along one side so that it can easily go on and come off without needing to slide it on. Do you think I am a NUT?! You should have seen what I rigged up when my big ol lab was run over and we had to try and keep his hip in socket. HA Melanie

melanie, aka Mo said...

Sorry about all the "he's", I now realize that Lucie is probably a "she". melanie

Jenn_N_Luc said...

I don't think you are a nut at all! I think that is actually a good idea. And as for "when a lot of activity is planned." That would be every moment she is awake. It has been hard trying to keep her calm and to stop trying to jump on the furniture. I'll have to see what I can rig up to put on her.

And, it's ok that you call her a he...she doesn't mind. She is only bothered by the constant confusion of her being a Chihuaha! :-)

Zhohn said...

Your Lucie is adorable! I hope all goes well with her knee. You treat her like I treat Misty, (min. boston terrier) she has her own wardrobe!

Thanks for visiting my blog. I had signed up for the 5k but had to have my gallbladder (emergency) out three weeks before the Marathon so I couldn't run but I did "cheer". I was surprised when I read your comment, you were in Memphis for Corbin???? I have followed his site since the beginning. I'm so excited that Baby Esther is here! I didn't get to see them in Memphis but I still visit Corbin's page.

Jenn_N_Luc said...

Hi Zhohn! Thanks for signing in. Yes, I have been close friends with Heather and Clint since college. I can't believe Esther's arrival! Poor Heather! I know she has already forgotten the pain though...but I haven't! :-) She was a big girl! Can't wait to see her!

Yes, Lucie has her own wardrobe too! Although, she'd be more than happy to pass it on to your Misty. She HATES clothes. Her LSU jersey is really the only piece she will tolerate! She's too funny!

Sorry to hear about your surgery. Maybe I'll see you there this year!